If you want to take better care of your property in the New Year, we have you covered. Owning a home is a lot of work and it certainly comes with a lot of new responsibilities. You may feel overwhelmed keeping track of everything that needs to be done around your house. Here are a few tips to help you be a better homeowner moving forward.
Boost Energy Efficiency to Be a Better Homeowner
Increasing the energy efficiency of your home is not only better for the environment, but will also save you money on monthly utility bills. Here are a few energy-saving tips.
- Inspect your windows and doors for air leaks. Silicone caulk or rubber weatherstripping can be used to fill gaps and cracks and keep the temperature in your home consistent.
- Monitor your water usage in the garden. An attractive lawn can improve the curb appeal of your home, but it requires a lot of water to keep it green and healthy. Making the switch from a sprinkler system to a soaker hose can help you save water. You might also set up a rainwater collection barrel to further reduce your water usage in the garden.
- Schedule an energy audit. A professional can identify inefficiencies in your home. He or she will make recommendations about how you can save energy every month.
You’ll soon realize that homeownership offers many rewards but also comes with responsibilities and unexpected costs. Taking the time to plan ahead will help you be more prepared to take care of your property.
- Start a home repair emergency fund. Unexpected costs will come up and you will be less overwhelmed if you know you have the money in the bank to cover these repairs.
- Learn to DIY. Purchase a tool kit and learn to do small jobs around your house. Even something as simple as replacing a light switch plate or an outlet cover will help you feel accomplished and build your confidence in tackling other tasks.
- Learn what’s covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy. Every policy has inclusions and exclusions that indicate exactly what you are protected from. Understanding your policy documents will help you be prepared in case a natural disaster strikes.
Know When to Ask for Help
It’s great to be able to tackle certain tasks around the house. While there are plenty of things you can do yourself, you also want to have trusted and experienced professionals by your side.
- A good service company is essential for jobs that are too big for you to handle on your own. Ask your friends or neighbors to recommend a person to take care of minor repairs around the house.
- If you’re hoping to tackle major renovations, find a licensed contractor to help you plan and carry out the project.
- For a homeowner without a green thumb, being a better homeowner means outsourcing the lawn and garden care. A talented landscaper will maintain and improve the outside of your house. This will increase your curb appeal, free up your weekends, and boost property value.
RMI Inspection Services offers home inspections to South Florida. Contact us to request our services.